US Stock of the Day - Understanding How it Works

US Stock of the Day is for traders who are looking for a US Stock to trade each day. I base my picks on US Stocks I follow on the Nasdaq, Dow, S&P and other indices such as the Russell 1000, etc., watching for a swing in the momentum upward. I keep a tight stop loss on all trades to minimize my risk... and allow the great stock trades to continue rising. These are not recommendations... merely entertainment. Please see the warning at the bottom of this page.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me @ contactdoctorstock@gmail.com. For a Canadian stock of the Day, look at http://canadianstockoftheday.blogspot.com. Also, you may not be a short-term trader... for more stable, longer-term trades, check out http://investinthemarkets.com.

Monday, October 17, 2011

US Stock of the Day for October 18, 2011

Yesterday I wrote: "I suspect some hesitation early this week..."

Sure enough... many stocks hesitated and dropped.



Normally, I'd be splitting some of my 5% + positions into two stop loss orders; however, I'm not convinced this move upward will continue... so I'll keep my stop losses tight, following it up.  A pullback may result in returning to the purchase prices... at which point I may reconsider a repurchase.  This way I can try to maximize my returns.

Well, now for the positions... we've done well in the past week.

October 7th, I chose INFA @ $43.85.  I set my stop loss @ $46.74 and it triggered for a 6.6% profit!

October 11th, I chose AAPL @ $392.00.  It closed @ $419.99 for a gain of 7.1%.  I'm keeping my stop loss @ $407.43.

October 17th, I chose SH @ 43.19.  It triggered and closed @ 43.17 for what I'll call even for now.  I'm setting my stop loss @ $42.43.

October 18th, I'm choosing GG @ $48.69.

OVERALL 

The Overall total return is 74.5% since my first purchase in June.


So far... 16 winners... 6 even... and 18 losers (at approx. -1% each, and one at 0.3%) for a great overall profit.

I'd encourage you to visit Invest in the Markets for great educational articles, stock analysis, and trading strategies. It's a great site no matter how new or experienced you are as a trader.

See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. You "chose" ABC. But, did you buy or sell? Sorry for asking the obvious question but readers don't know if you bought or sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the question... all orders are "long" or buys unless otherwise stated. I tend to use inverse positions to go short.

    ReplyDelete